London (Lamaane.net) - The governments of Britain, Canada and Australia on Friday, August 21, condemned Israel's decision to close its investigation into a 2024 Gaza strike that killed seven aid workers.
In a joint statement, the three governments described as "shameful” the Israeli military’s August 19 decision not to pursue a criminal investigation into the attack on a World Central Kitchen convoy. They said they had pressed Israel for more than two years to examine the case thoroughly and hold those responsible to account.
"The victims and their families have the right to justice and for those responsible to be held accountable,” the governments said, adding that they would continue seeking answers on behalf of those affected. They also urged Israel to meet its obligations under international humanitarian law and strengthen protections for humanitarian personnel operating in Gaza.
The seven World Central Kitchen workers — three British nationals, a dual U.S.-Canadian citizen, a Polish national, an Australian and a Palestinian — were killed on April 1, 2024, when Israeli drones struck their vehicle convoy. The team had been involved in delivering humanitarian food assistance to civilians in Gaza.
The workers had helped oversee the unloading of aid transported by sea from Cyprus before traveling in vehicles associated with the humanitarian organization. The Israeli military subsequently acknowledged serious operational failures surrounding the attack and described the deaths as a tragic mistake.
Israel’s military said this week that its review found no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct warranting a criminal investigation. The decision followed earlier disciplinary measures taken against officers over failures identified after the strike.
World Central Kitchen rejected that conclusion, saying the decision did not reflect the circumstances of the attack and renewed its demand for an independent investigation. The organization has argued that the Israeli military cannot credibly investigate its own conduct in a case involving its forces.
Australia separately escalated its diplomatic response on Thursday by summoning Israeli Ambassador Hillel Newman. Foreign Minister Penny Wong said Canberra was outraged by the outcome and expected greater accountability over the death of Australian aid worker Lalzawmi "Zomi” Frankcom and her colleagues.
The case continues to strain Israel’s relations with Britain, Canada and Australia, which are pressing for independent scrutiny and stronger safeguards for humanitarian workers in Gaza.

