Lamaane News Network – Somalia & Worldwide Coverage

Netanyahu Rejects International Force Entry Into Gaza

by: Yusuf Samatalis | Thursday, 20 August 2026 16:45 EAT
0 Comments
17
Tel Aviv (Lamaane.net) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said Thursday, August 20, that Israel had not approved an international stabilization force to enter the Gaza Strip.
The statement rejected Israeli media reports that the country’s political leadership had authorized part of the proposed International Stabilization Force to begin operating in a limited area of the devastated Palestinian territory.

Netanyahu’s office also reiterated that Israel would not permit reconstruction to begin before Hamas is fully disarmed. "Israel has made clear that there will be no reconstruction of any kind in Gaza before the complete disarmament of Hamas,” the office said.

The clarification comes amid renewed diplomatic efforts over arrangements for post-war security, reconstruction and governance in Gaza, where an October 2025 ceasefire reduced the intensity of fighting but did not bring violence to a complete halt.

Israel has stepped up airstrikes in recent weeks, with the Israeli military saying its operations have targeted senior Hamas figures. Türkiye, Egypt and Qatar on Thursday condemned the intensified Israeli attacks and called for adherence to ceasefire commitments, warning that further escalation could undermine diplomatic efforts surrounding Gaza.

The proposed stabilization force forms part of the Gaza framework promoted by U.S. President Donald Trump and his Board of Peace. The plan envisages an international security presence alongside Palestinian police as Gaza moves through proposed stages of demilitarization, Israeli military withdrawal and reconstruction.

Netanyahu has disputed key elements of that framework. Earlier this month, he said Israeli forces would not withdraw until Hamas had surrendered all of its weapons. "When I say the disarming of Hamas, it means heavy weaponry, lighter weaponry, all weaponry,” Netanyahu said, insisting that Israel required what he described as genuine rather than symbolic disarmament.

A central disagreement concerns how weapons surrendered by Hamas and other armed groups would be handled. The U.S.-backed roadmap provides for a phased process involving Palestinian authorities, international monitoring and the stabilization force. Israel has sought stricter guarantees that weapons removed from armed factions cannot later return to their control.

Lamaane News Network assesses that the dispute over sequencing remains a significant obstacle to implementing the post-war framework: Israel is demanding comprehensive disarmament before reconstruction and military withdrawals advance, whereas the proposed roadmap links those measures through staged and monitored steps.

Lamaane News Network | For inquiries: lamaane@lamaane.net | About Us

Related Items