Lamaane News Network – Somalia & Worldwide Coverage

Spain Arrests 5 in Ceuta Migrant-Smuggling Probe

by: Agoon Hared | Friday, 21 August 2026 20:26 EAT
0 Comments
13
Spanish police officers during an operation targeting a migrant-smuggling network accused of arranging boat crossings from Ceuta to mainland Spain across the Strait of Gibraltar.
Spanish police officers during an operation targeting a migrant-smuggling network accused of arranging boat crossings from Ceuta to mainland Spain across the Strait of Gibraltar.
Ceuta (Lamaane.net) -Spain's National Police arrested five suspects on Friday, August 21, over alleged migrant-smuggling operations from Ceuta across the Strait of Gibraltar to mainland Spain.
Police said two investigations dismantled separate groups accused of arranging clandestine crossings in small boats, with migrants charged as much as €9,000 per journey. Four suspects were arrested in one investigation — two in Ceuta and two in La Línea de la Concepción, Cádiz — on suspicion of belonging to a criminal organization and facilitating irregular immigration.

Investigators said the network moved small vessels from the Cádiz coast to Ceuta, where migrants were kept temporarily in homes, garages and other locations before being taken discreetly to embarkation points. Support vehicles were used to avoid areas under police surveillance.

According to the National Police, boat operators were selected for their experience with high-speed navigation and their ability to perform evasive maneuvers intended to avoid security controls. Officers also seized a speedboat allegedly used by the network.

A separate investigation focused on an August 14 crossing involving seven migrants traveling from Ceuta toward the Spanish mainland. Police said the passengers spent about five hours at sea and covered approximately 40 kilometers before being intercepted around 4 a.m. near El Burgo beach in La Línea de la Concepción.

A witness told investigators that the organizer charged €8,000 per passenger, potentially generating €56,000 from the seven-person crossing. The suspect was remanded in provisional custody pending proceedings.

Police described the vessel as approximately five meters long and two meters wide, without life jackets or adequate signaling and rescue equipment. Investigators said some passengers had little or no swimming ability. Witnesses also reported dense fog during the nighttime crossing, adding to risks from cold, waves and water entering the boat.

Lamaane News Network could not independently establish how many migrants had previously been transported by the groups. Authorities have not publicly disclosed the total number of crossings under investigation.

The arrests come amid intensified migration pressure on Ceuta after more than 72,000 people entered the Spanish-administered territory in late July, according to figures reported by authorities. Thousands subsequently returned or were transferred, but several thousand migrants remained in the enclave in August, placing accommodation and public services under significant strain.

Spanish authorities have reinforced security around Ceuta and the Strait as trafficking networks seek to exploit migrants attempting to reach mainland Europe. The latest investigations highlight the financial incentives behind the maritime smuggling route and the safety risks faced by passengers using small, poorly equipped vessels.

Lamaane News Network | For inquiries: lamaane@lamaane.net | About Us

Related Items